John K. Crum (b1951)
Best known for his Coastal Romanticism, a whimsical yet gentle surrealist styling, John's
bold use of color and design while sharing human experiences are recognizable trademarks of his painting style.
"My paintings start with everyday subjects of people, the ocean, or familiar landscapes, and I invent a curious twist on the ordinary, each image capable of taking the observer on their own unexpected and sometimes magical journey."
"I challenge myself to do what is hard or even scary, and push myself into new subjects and arraingements of things that inspire me. This has led to both the trash for some and successful works of art for others."
"Living near the ocean and marshes I am always in awe of this beautiful landscape and being witness to the amazing power and beauty of nature. I draw daily inspiration from the island, the people, and surreal coastal regions." Moving to the beautiful island of Hilton Head in 2001, John credits the wonderful cultural influences and surreal landscapes of the Lowcountry as his daily inspiration.
"I CONSIDER MY PAINTING SUCCESSFUL WHEN THE VIEWER STOPS, TAKES A CLOSER LOOK, AND THEN SMILES."
"...even in college, John had the soul and insight of a true artist. It was obvious then and it must have manifested in his later years on your island. You are fortunate to be able to enjoy not only his immense talent but also the insight and wisdom of an artist who sees the world uniquely from the rest of us." -Artist, D. Helton, Chattanooga
The Island Packet News of Hilton Head:
"John's whimsical approach to life uses boats as his metaphor as he takes the viewer on an emotional and often whimsical journey. With this series he explores a humorous and surreal approach to expressing emotions".
A 1973 graduate of Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota, he received classical art training in fine and graphic arts and has been blessed to maintain a lifelong career as a painter, muralist, illustrator, and graphic designer.
438 King Street, Charleston, SC - 843-564-0034
Karis Art Gallery
1000 Wm. Hilton Parkway, Village of Wexford, Hilton Head Island, SC - 843-785-5100
Member of The Art League of Hilton Head Island
- Winner: 2017 ArtPop Beaufort - "Same Roots Different Bark" billboard up thoughout 2017.
- USCB - Beaufort Center for the Arts - ArtPop winners art exhibition April thru June.
- Historic Honey Horn Plantation Art Festival - Hilton Head Island - April 29-30
- Piccolo Spoleto Outdoor Art Exhibit 2017 - May 26-June 17, Charleston - Space#5
- Featured Artist - November- Art League of Hilton Head Island, Arts Centery
- "Take Home Charleston" - 26 Vendue Hotel Show - "Woman With Heavy Load"
- "Artist" Editorial listing in artGuide Magazine - October 2016 issue.
- "Corneau Goldsmithing Jewelry Gallery"- 92 Hasell St. Charleston Pop-Up Show
- "An Evening of the Arts" -Invitational Art Auction, Island School Council for the Arts 2016.
- "Art Under the Oaks" - 3rd Place Fine Arts, St. Simon's Island, GA.
- "Solo" Show at Art League of Hilton Head Satellite Gallery North, Hilton Head Island.
- "Making Smiles - The Gentle Surrealism of J.K.Crum" - Solo Show - Art League of Hilton Head.
- "Gullah Celebration 20th Anniversary Invitational Show" Hilton Head Island.
- "An Eye for History - Visions of Honey Horn" Juried Art Show - Coastal Discovery Museum.
- "The Fantastical Paintings of J.K.Crum" - Upper King Street Charleston Magazine.
- "Comic Relief" Invitational Art Show - Cabarrus Arts Council, Concord, NC.
- "Design Walk" - Charleston Upper King Street Design Group Featured Artist.
- "Two Views of One Horizon" Featured Artist - The Mitchell-Hill Gallery, Charleston.
- "Heart Painting Exhibition" Karis Art Gallery, Hilton Head - The Online Examiner.
- "An Evening of the Arts" -Invitational Art Auction, Island School Council for the Arts 2015.